Lorraine’s Cafe is a landmark in the Blackpoint settlement on Great Guana Cay in the Exumas (Bahamas). Just outside of her establishment is an unassuming home, where you may find her mom sitting on the porch, peacefully weaving a palm basket.Ask Lorraine’s Mom if she would be willing to sell you some of her famous coconut bread, and she may invite you in. Once inside, it smells like a little slice of heaven on earth. She’ll most likely offer you a still-hot loaf that’s just come out of the oven, and you should really get it sliced and eaten as quickly as possible. Keep a few slices aside though – this French Toast recipe is sure to make you go back for more!
- 4 slices of coconut bread
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp butter
- Powdered sugar used to garnish
- Maple Syrup
- Beat the eggs, milk and vanilla with a fork until well combined.
- Soak each slice of bread (both sides).
- Fry on a high heat, making sure to press down lightly to get an even golden crisp.
- A dusting of powdered sugar, a dollop of butter and a deluge maple syrup makes this perfect!